Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Voice-Overs

Week 2 : 5/11/2012

This week my accomplishments where to work on any sound effects that needed to be recorded or changed and voice-overs for the storyline. This ended up to be a light week for studio work.

I redid some sound effects that needed more gain to them, by EQ and adding gain. I don't want to put just gain on the sound effects and have them distort, so EQ the effect and putting little gain normal does the trick in doing audio sound effects. I only needed to redo 5 of these sound effect out of 42 sound effects. There where no other sound effects to record since my team did need any at this time.

I went into recording studio to work on the voice-overs for the characters for the storyline. There are only a couple characters in the story (Billy, Captain Heart, Blood Cell, doctor, and the Narrator). I was going to use a few people for these parts, but once again that fell through. In order to get these area done and move on with the project the studio owner and myself played these parts. I look it this way if I get these actors to come in to do these parts I could always redo, it not that hard to do.

I ended up doing Billy and the Doctor, while the studio owner did Narrator, Captain Heart and the Blood Cell. I don't think I sounded like a 10 year old boy and I feel like sound that great compare if a real ten year old boy did it. Plus I hate the sound of my voice! Mike the studio owner did a fantastic job on Captain Heart and the Blood Cell, him being a Narrator I'm not so sure of. I don't think he had the right voice for the Narrator part. At least we got the job done and like I said I can always go back and redo this area.

VNote Studio - Mike recording with AKG 414 cardioid mic pattern; reading for Captain Heart

Mike read for Narrator - using same mic and using a screen pop (to avoid pops in the mic) the silver cover around the mic acts like a ISO booth with out having one. Helps vocals and voice overs to have a cleans sound when recording.

Myself behind the console, recording at Vnote.

I recorded all my character voice-overs into ProTools using an AKG 414 cardioid mic pattern. Used a Pop screen and cover on the mic to give the best voice overs for recording. We went down the list of characters and recorded each character in a session, by myself and Mike. We read off the story of the storyline that Tanner put together in Flash and used it like a teleprompter to read for the characters.
  
The voice-over characters is all that was done for the day. I was in and out of the studio within 3 hours. I marked where I like my takes for each character in ProTools, so that I can edit and mix each character to my liking. That should take another 3 to 6 hours to do. I will be working on that next week. I will probably use a pitch shifter on the Billy character to get move of a boy sound. Might have to mix the Narrator sound using plug ins to get the sound where I feel is doable. All the other characters will just work on the breathing parts by editing them and maybe EQ a little otherwise sound pretty good.

Well that is it for this week. Until next week........



No comments:

Post a Comment